As mentioned before, whale sharks favorite meal is plankton, but they also feed on tiny fish that happen to be around, so there is no reason to fear them.
What will you experience during the tour?
The whole trip to get to the place where whale sharks are is a great adventure! You might see dolphins, giant manta rays, sea turtles and some other marine creatures in their natural habitat:
This beautiful paradise called the Mexican Caribbean.
Tips for being a responsible traveller
Unfortunately, whale sharks are enlisted as endangered species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). It is up to all of us to do what we can to preserve them, so we ask you to help us by following these basic rules when you swim with them:
- Make sure that the tourist provider with whom you are going to take the tour is certified and legally constituted, as well as that it has certified guides.
- Wear a life vest at all times and follow the instructions of the people in charge.
- To protect yourself from the sun, we recommend you to wear a long-sleeved rash guard, a cap or a hat, since sunscreen —even if it is biodegradable— damages the ecosystem.
- Get slowly into the water, so you don´t disturb the marine life. Don´t jump from the boat.
- Keep a distance of at least two meters from the wildlife and remember that under no circumstances you should touch them.
- Do not swim underneath the whale sharks or any other marine species.
- Take as many pictures as you want, but please don´t use flash.
- Do not try to feed them.
What to bring along with you?
- Bathing suit
- Long-sleeved rash guard
- Cap or hat
- Extra clothes
- Water-proof camera
- If you suffer from motion sickness, we recommend you to take a pill to prevent it.
We are sure that interacting with the whale sharks will be a unique adventure that you will treasure for life. You have to try it! Only possible in the Mexican Caribbean...