Sighting and swimming with Whale Shark
Without a doubt the iconic activity of Holbox. There are few places in the world where you enjoy the wonderful experience of swimming with the Whale Shark, and the beautiful island of Holbox has this privilege.
Every year, between the months of May and September, Holbox receives in its calm waters its most anticipated visitors, the imposing Whale Sharks, one of the largest animals that exist on the planet and that coexist naturally with the human being. These harmless fish, which can reach up to 20 meters in length, reach Holbox thanks to the fact that the sea here has the most favorable conditions and the nutrients necessary for the growth of the plankton from which they feed.
Visiting Holbox and living this extraordinary experience is a memory that will remain in your memory forever, but it is very important to carry out this activity following all the established guidelines for the conservation of this unique species that year after year makes this paradise island in the Mexican Caribbean, your temporary home; so remember:
- Wear the life jacket at all times and respect all the instructions of the boat captain and the guides.
- Do not throw yourself, or dive from the boat, the immersions into the water should be done slowly.
- Keep a distance of at least two meters with the sharks and remember that under no circumstances should you touch them.
- Do not swim below them.
- Take pictures but don't use the flash.
- To protect yourself from the sun, it is not recommended to use sunscreen even if it is biodegradable, instead use a long-sleeved water shirt.